Partner, Head of Energy, MEA, Oliver Wyman
Mr. Horncastle is a Partner with Oliver Wyman based in Dubai and heads the MEA Energy practice. He has 20+ years of experience in Energy, Chemicals and Downstream. His areas of focus include Strategy and M&A, transformations including operating models, capability building, operations efficiency and cost reduction as well as localization.
Examples of experiences:
- Strategy and capability improvement requirements for a large KSA based Petrochemical Player. As part of the strategy review Identification of capability improvement requirements in commercial, manufacturing and R&D, definition of potential financial upside and implementation requirements.
- Strategy and Operating model design for two of the Authority for the largest industrial cities in KSA. Cluster strategy and design and implementation of the operating model.
- Design and implementation of operating models and creation of shared services for the majority of chemicals players in KSA and subsequent review for collaboration possibilities.
- Strategy and design for local content unit for a large KSA petrochemical player in KSA. Following the design for a local content strategy subsequently set up the operating model and continued support on implementation as well as investor attraction and collaboration support with other entities. Set up a fund for SMEs and continued support in a BOT type model.
- Lead the commercial acquisition process for a large Saudi based petrochemicals player to acquire a large specialty polymer business until the transaction was closed. Subsequently led an assignment to improve performance and conduct a cost cutting exercise.
- Engagement to create operating model and build capabilities in a major 30bn+ refinery, petrochemical and LNG project. The tasks was to create a separate company that would have capex deployment and operations capabilities on world class level to ensure adequate return on investment and to serve as a platform for future investments.
- Merger of two European specialty chemicals companies to form the largest specialty chemicals company. Following the merger of the mother companies designed an equity story and value proposition for their specialty chemical subsidiaries to be merged. This required divestment of almost half of the portfolio and subsequent acquisition of assets with a better fit with the new strategy.
- Global operating model design for a large petrochemicals company in the Middle East. Following a period of strong local and international growth the operating model was globalized and Global SBUs and support functions established. In addition the Capex deployment capabilities were reviewed in detail and improvements made.
- Led 15+ due diligences for private equity and strategic buyers in the region and internationally across petrochemicals and specialty polymers, conversion, specialty chemicals and distribution.
Mr. Horncastle has mastered in Business Administration at the Karl Friedrich University in Bamberg Germany and did a Fellowship program at INSEAD