Director Latin America Operations, Becht
Mariano J. Bertaina has 18 years of Technical, Operations and HSE experience in Refining and Chemical industry. Mr. Bertaina is responsible for Becht’s Latin America Operations. Mr. Bertaina holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering from Facultad de Ingeniería Química of Universidad Nacional del Litoral (FIQ – UNL), Santa Fe, Argentina and a Master in Business Administration at Universidad del CEMA, Bs As, Argentina
His previous Position was Manager of Technical Team at Axion Campana Refinery, Argentina, leading a successful team with more than 50 Engineers, Specialists and Managers of the Mechanical integrity, Process Engineer, Reliability, Project Development, Process Control team and Process Safety, between November 2015 and November 2019.
- Managed Technical Team at Axion Campana Refinery, Argentina, leading a successful team with more than 50 Engineers, Specialists and Managers of the Mechanical integrity, Process Engineer, Reliability, Project Development, Process Control team and Process Safety, between November 2015 and November 2019.
- Improved margins and reliability of Axion refinery, the only refinery of the company, by focusing on new technology management, new margin project development, technical support and troubleshooting leading and optimization of Processes.
- Directed IAPG Refining Commission (Instituto Argentino de Petroleo y Gas) and organized last Latin American Refining Congress, Mendoza 2018 with more than 300 participants
- Participated as Board Director at LARTC Latin America Refining Technology Conference 2017 and 2018.
- Leaded Process Engineer Team at ExxonMobil Campana refinery (Distillation, FCC, Delay Coker, Reforming and Hydrotreating Refinery Units)
- Experience at Advance Control Engineer, with short term assignment at ExxonMobil Research and Engineering (Fairfax, VA, US) working on Real Time Optimization, Campana Refinery Project and a Specialization in EEUU (Jan – Apr 2008) working at ExxonMobil Refineries.
- Awarded by ExxonMobil with international recognition ROCE (Recognizing Outstanding Contributions to Excellence) for record Gas Oil production as a result of the implementation of a new integral control strategy.
- Experienced Process engineer (Reformer, Hydrotreater, FCC, etc.)
- Technical Troubleshooting abilities. Unit debottlenecks and margin improvement. Project development. New catalyst alternative analysis. Technical responsibility for Reforming Catalyst Regeneration process. Several international trainings during this period.
Chemical Plants Experience
- Managed Quality and ESH Team for Monsanto Chemical Plant at Zarate Plant. Leading a team of 40 people, professional and technicians.
- ESH strategy design and development.
- Strategic work with local and Bs. As. province environmental authorities. Integral Management system improvements
- Leaded the Glyphosate Production for Monsanto Zarate Plant
- Responsible for the annual planning and long-term budget.
- Leaded a diverse team in a challenging and highly result oriented context.
- Assigned for 6 months as Unit Supervisor at Camacari Plant (Salvador, Br).
- Leaded Technical and chemist initiatives, new projects and products development in several process units at Monsanto Zarate Plant. Six sigma methodology utilization. Leader of global process improvements team together With Brazil, US and European sites.
Mariano is a valued member of our 2020 LARTC Advisory Board,
Download our 2020 Advisory Board Report here